End-of-Shift Feedback in the Emergency Department
For the learner to answer
- What went well on today’s shift?
- What’s something you can work on for your next shift?
- What was something you learned today?
For the educator to answer
- I noticed you did a great job with...
- Something I noticed that I think you could work on...
- A teaching point to remember from this shift is...
- History and physical exam: Was it complete? EM-focused?
- Logically presented?
- Differential diagnoses
- Management plan
- Knowledge of risks/benefits and skill competency
- Ability to read xrays and EKGs
- Bedside ultrasound skills
- Efficiency and multitasking skills
- Attitude and motivation
- Patient advocacy
- Knowledge and/or pursuit of evidence-based medicine
- Dealing with nurses, residents, consultants, admission teams
ACGME Core Competencies
- Patient care
- Medical knowledge
- Interpersonal/communication skills
- Practice-based learning/improve
- Systems-based practice