Elbow Injuries - Olecranon Fracture
Elbow Injuries: Olecranon Fracture
Elbow XR: AP and lateral
- >2 mm fracture displacement
- Absence of elbow extension
- Adults: Long-arm posterior splint with elbow at 90° flexion
- Children: Consider long arm cast
- Non-operative: 5-7 days
- Operative: 2-3 days
- Suspicious for osteogenesis imperfecta in kids
- Partial closure of olecranon ossification sometimes mistaken for fracture
- Average age of olecranon ossification closure = 15-17 years old
- Wheeless’ Textbook of Orthopaedics. Available at: http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/fractures_of_the_olecranon. Accessed August 1, 2017.
- Orthobullets. Available at: http://www.orthobullets.com/trauma/1022/olecranon-fractures. Accessed August 1, 2017.
- Radiopaedia. Available at: http://radiopaedia.org/articles/olecranon-fractures-1. Accessed August 1, 2017.
- General Guidelines For Management for Orthopedic Injuries card by the Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Department of Orthopedics.